Normal "conversation" with my 11 year old...

Hi Everyone!  I hope you're all having a good week so far.  I'm still pretty excited about my surgery date in FOUR WEEKS - woo hoooooooo!  Okay, enough of that.

Every day around 3:30, I send a text to Shelby asking her if she's on the bus yet.  Pretty normal "mom" stuff.  Today our conversation went like this:
Me: Are you on the bus
Shelby: yes
m: did you have a good day?
s: no since my rib hurt all day
m: um, what did you do? and how much homework do you have?
s: idk and none
m: did you fall, trip, run into anything?
s: no
m: probably growing pains, sorry :( please vacuum before I get home
s: no, i'm hungry
m: eat and then vacuum
s: fine
m: thank you

then she calls me and tells me she won't vacuum.  I give her another choice - putting away all the clothes she left in my room while she was sleeping in there when Karen was visiting OR vacuum.  "Awwwww moooooooooooooooooooooooooooom, can't I do anything else?" 
Nope, those are your choices. 
Silence.
Shelby?
"what?"
what are you going to choose?
"I don't want to do any of those things!"
One or the other.
"FINE!  I'll put the stuff away, AFTER I eat!"
Ok.  I love you.
"love you too bye."

15 minutes later, my desk phone rings, but I'm on the other line... then the cell phone rings, I don't answer because I AM ON THE OTHER LINE AT WORK, then the text comes "can I play on the computer?"  This kid cracks me up!  I called her back once I was done with my work phone call and asked her what she needed.
"Mommy?  Can I please play on the computer?"
Have you put your stuff away & taken your shower?
"Nooooooooooooooo, I don't want to do that until you get home!"
No computer, unless you put the stuff away.  You can wait until I get home for your shower if you'd like.
"Awww Mom!"
Nope, that's it.
"Fine!"
I love you.
"loveyoutoobye."

Next I'm at the grocery store checking out and start another text convo:
m: I'm in line to check out
s: ok I just got out of the shower
m: Good job! 
s: thanx

Then as I start the car:
m: I'm on the road again
s: yay

So, this is how it's gonna be huh?  Texting with an attitude one minute and all "I love you Mommy" the next?  Excellent!  I can't wait until the hormones really kick in!

YIKES!!!!

Okay, now for some gratitude:
  • Shelby (yep, she's still on the list)
  • My wonderful friends
  • My great job (& boss, but don't tell him that!)
  • The Christmas lights looking so pretty
  • We got our first Christmas card in the mail today - WOW!
  • Surgery is 28 days away!!!!!!!!
  • Laughter
  • YOU!
Love & blessings to you all!!!!



Comments

  1. That cracks me up! Yup, sounds like "relative normalcy" to me!! It also sounds like many of the text exchanges I have with my 12 year old (going on, in her mind, 16) daughter.
    Gotta love 'em!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Notice Prior to Disconnection...

Life is NOT a "solo mission"